Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Baby Steps Towards Being an Adult




According to dictionary.com an adult can be defined in the following ways:

- a person who is fully grown or developed or of age
- a full-grown animal or plant
- a person who has attained the age of maturity as specified by law



Harry Potter Ron Weasley animated GIF


<-- My face right now. In the words of Babe Walker, these definitions are rather unclear.







So, in my attempts to navigate adulthood, I've discovered a few things I can do to continue to speed along the journey.

1. Keep the closet doors shut.
I am constantly trying to get people to believe one thing or another about me based on how I choose to present myself at any given moment. Keeping the closet doors shut says a few things in my mind.
Closet animated GIF
A- I can't possibly be a hoarder because the doors of my closet will actually shut and remain shut.
B- I have a dirty little secret (which I think is a very adult thing in and of itself) and the secret is that behind those closed doors is a mess that I'm hiding from the world (that could be read into as a metaphor for my life).
C- I made the conscious, adult decision to close the closet after trying on half the clothes I own before leaving the apartment, which means there was quite the cleanup involved. And if cleaning up messes doesn't make you an adult then I don't know what does.




2. Use coasters.
It's a very grown up thing to use a coaster with your cheap beer because it means you're taking care of your things and therefore are becoming an adult who is capable of having nice things. You can even get super pretty ones! If my apartment were on fire, and I could only take a rolling suitcase full of possessions, I would definitely grab the coasters (pictured to the right) and you can't judge. Those coasters are beautiful and qualify me as an adult, which is a lot more than I can say about a lot of my things.




3. Don't take yourself seriously.
Kristen Wiig Bridesmaids animated GIFA- No one else is. Ever.
B- When you're caught in a compromised position (i.e. the walk of shame), it's so much easier to be like, "My life is a joke!" and move on.
C- People who are void of shame are generally more unstable/exciting/intriguing. Sounds like a great combo to me!




Yes Rugrats animated GIF

4. Always have a backup.
This applies to a lot of things in life...friends, toilet paper, your iTunes library. You never want to get caught with your pants down and no backup. Literally in some cases and metaphorically in most others.






And that's all I got for now. I like to think this list will continue to grow as I mature but then again, I haven't grown since the fifth grade so there's that. Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment